Dear friends and colleagues, With the election of the new Board and having had both the honour and burden of being elected president of the Organization, I feel the need to address You, who are the quintessence of Médecins du Monde: the volunteers.
Greece is currently at the epicenter of the European economic and social crisis and consequently Greek citizens are faced with unprecedented situations. Our working conditions have, nowadays, changed dramatically. People who used to financially support us, are now in need of our support. On the other hand, demands for action are mounting.
In this course of time, we have redefined the Organization’s objectives, as well as the focal points of our action.
1. Child: ALL children have the right to health and preventive care. ALL children have the right to vaccination and access to health care services.
2. Women and Especially Pregnant Women: Medical attention should be provided before, during and, for a year, after childbirth.
Our above mentioned aims will be achieved through MdM Mobile Units, MdM Polyclinics and vaccination programs.
3. Supporting the elderly, who are driven to indignity and impoverishment, is an aim pursued through our program “Message of Life”.
4. The unprecedented surge of racial violence and its victims, to whom we provide medical, legal and humanitarian aid, as well as keeping records and reporting such cases, are issues addressed through the ENOUGH program.
5. Providing support and assistance to refugees with our work through the Refugees Reception Centers.
All these aims would never have been fulfilled without hard work, planning and inspiration. Inspiration of those who work for the organization and put their soul to it. Our effort is based on the tireless work and generosity of our volunteers. Therefore, we aspire to have qualified and knowledgeable volunteers, who participate in the organization's actions with the best possible conditions, so that their time and skills are utilized to the full.
As president of the Organization, I ought to stand by the side of its people, be part of all its actions and support all those who need our support. And this is my own personal aim.
WISHES FOR STRENGTH TO ALL
Mrs Liana Maili
President of Médecins du Monde