Through the essential support intervention programme for elderly people 60+, Médecins du Monde provides medical and psychosocial support to socially and economically vulnerable older people who, due to restrictive measures to protect public health, have become even more isolated.
The action consists of three main axes:
- Home help with door-to-door visits
- Remote counselling and psychosocial support
- The operation of the Online Companionship program for the elderly
AIMS OF THE PROJECT
- Protection against Covid-19 for 60+ elderly people
- Continuing care through the provision of medical counselling services, especially for people with chronic conditions
- Remote psychosocial support services
- Ensuring drug treatment for the most vulnerable people through home delivery
- Personal empowerment and socialisation through the ‘online companionship’ groups.
- Material assistance and provision of personal protective equipment
- Digital literacy for participants
- Improving housing conditions to an adequate level for the most vulnerable
Health and psychosocial support professionals are available daily from 09:00 to 17:00 for remote counselling and support through new telecommunication media.
The MdM-Greece team consists of a social worker, a doctor, a psychologist and a nurse who carry out door-to-door visits for free pharmaceutical assistance to the elderly through the execution of electronic prescriptions in cooperation and following an appropriate referral from the social services of municipalities, but also remote communication with the beneficiaries for psychosocial support sessions. Also, through the application of the Online Companionship, a group of elderly people coordinate weekly with the psychologist and the pathologist-gerontologist of the project, where they attend presentations and participate in the discussion on issues related to old age.